Friday, October 24, 2008

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

My daughter and her friend were watching this show hosted by Jeff Foxworthy call "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader." I was curious about it and sat with these two seventh graders to see what this show was about. It appeared to be a show about trivia that requires information to be memorized in some schools - some core knowledge perhaps? I wondered why it was important for a fifth grader to know how many stomachs a cow has. I knew the answer but I grew up on a farm. But I can't see why this information would be necessary on a test for a fifth grader. I can only imagine a college interview that my daughter or her friend will attend and the admission director asks, "Now one more question, do you know how many stomachs a cow has?"

1 comment:

12RedRoses4U said...

Unlike what most people believe, a cow has one stomach with four compartments.

As for why a 5th grader would need to know that information, I think it has more to do with how that infomation could be used in the classroom to explore other areas. It could be used during animal study, a digestion lesson (differences and comparisons between the students system and the cows, sheep, or animals.)

Animals seem to be an area that fasinate many children this could be an excellant door way to many lessons.

While the question out of context does appear a bit silly within the context of a lesson it could serve a very important purpose.

Hey and if the student is applying to vet school they just may get ask *wink*.